Ideally, when someone visits your law firm’s website, that person will take some kind of action. Maybe the visitor will give your office a call, schedule a consultation online, or give you his or her email address in exchange for a free download. Sometimes that happens, but a lot of times it doesn't.
The reality is that most people will leave your site, and the best you can hope for is that they will return. There are no guarantees, though, and you have little control once they leave. Fortunately, you have remarketing, an advertising strategy that specifically targets online users who have previously visited your website. Remarketing (also known as retargeting) gives you a second, third, and even fourth chance to impress an online user and convert that prospect into a new client.
Here’s how it works:
- An online user visits your law firm’s website and then leaves to continue surfing the web. Before the user leaves, a snippet of code is used to add that visitor to your remarketing ads list.
- When the individual goes on a site that shows display ads, such as a news site, he or she is then shown an ad for your firm. The ad includes a strong call to action to return to your website and fill out a form. (The user gets to see ads that are more relevant to his or her interests and you get the make another impression on the potential client.)
- The user is convinced and clicks on the ad, taking him or her back to your website to a specific page of your choosing. You have now turned a lost web visitor into a return visitor!
So, why would a law firm want to run remarketing campaigns? The short answer is that it works. According to a CMO.com article, research shows that website conversions (turning web visitors into leads) are 70% more likely to occur when remarketing is used.
Remarketing allows you to continue marketing to a potential lead even after you thought you had lost them. Another strength of this ad strategy is that it allows you to reach out to individuals whom you know already have some level of interest in your firm, which can help boost conversions on your website. After all, they did come to you first, didn’t they?
Why Remarketing Works for Lawyers
Hiring a lawyer is a process that most people don't take lightly. Depending on the situation, a person may take days, weeks, or even months to come to a decision. The individual may be on the fence about whether he or she even needs a lawyer and will likely visit numerous sites in order to make that decision. Your law firm’s website may just be one stop in the potential client’s search journey.
Showing your previous site visitors ads for your law firm again and again does 3 things:
- It keeps your law firm at the top of the target client’s mind even when he or she isn’t on your site.
- It builds credibility as the user sees your firm name in multiple places across the Internet.
- It gives the user that extra push to take action.
How Scorpion Can Help
Don't let potential clients slip away. Even with a compelling website, you're going to get people who just aren't ready to commit. Our online advertising experts at Scorpion can help you use remarketing to ensure that you remain visible to these online users, even after they have left your law firm’s website.
We are a Google AdWords™ Premier SMB Partner and a Bing Ads Elite SMB Partner that has generated millions of leads for clients over the past 15 years. Contact us to learn more about our services.
Get more great tips for marketing your law firm online by downloading this free guide.
About the Author
Nicolas Gomez is Senior VP of Sales at Scorpion. He helps law firms generate more business and increase their revenue through customized online marketing strategies, including strategies that incorporate website development and search engine advertising. Nicolas has more than 15 years of marketing, technical, and industry experience. During his personal time, Nicolas enjoys exercising, playing golf, playing in poker tournaments, and traveling.